PLASTICRAFT PROCESS LINE EXPERTISE HELPS NEW FACILITY AT AIRBUS DEFENCE AND SPACE TAKE OFF
Plasticraft has now completed a major installation for Airbus Defence and Space, formerly Astrium – the world’s second largest space company – citing the European Space Agency among its impressive client list.
The project is seen as an excellent example of Plasticraft’s ability to provide a comprehensive service that encompasses both building and enabling work alongside the installation of highly efficient processing systems. The installation, in Stevenage, is centred on a facility that has addressed both specialist processing shop needs and water and effluent treatment requirements.
- Refurbishment of existing building includes civil engineering to accommodate process line and adjacent quartz crystal processing facility
- Process tanks handle aluminium face skins – which measure 3.8 m x 1.5 m with a thickness of between 0.2 to 1.0 mm – located in purpose-designed frames
- System features control for two overhead handling cranes
- Process includes degreasing, spray rinse, chrome sulphuric pickle and a final spray rinse to ensure a chrome free finish – process tanks also feature air agitation and heating
- Water and effluent treatment facility has had a dramatic effect on water usage with consequent savings set to have a significant and beneficial impact on investment return
- De-mineralised water that is produced feeds into process – only a small amount of effluent needs to be collected for discharge